TreoCentral TreoCast Episode 9
For December 11, 2006
How to listen
Palm Announces Q2 FY07 Financial Results Conference Call. It's not "news" so much as "there's going to be news on Dec. 19th." In the last conference call Colligan revealed that Palm would be releasing a "low-cost Treo" that turned out to be the 680.
The Treo 680 is now available in Canada on the Roger's network. (Oliver also sends me an email letting me know that Telus of Quebec is carrying the 700p and 700wx.)
Palm is no longer selling the Treo 650 on their website. Truly, it is the end of an era.
Speaking of the end of an era, Nokia has pulled the plug on popular instant message client VeriChat, not to mention a slew of other apps by PDAapps.
The biggest news, though, is that Palm has purchased a perpetual license for the Garnet source code for $44 million. We have a bit of analysis in the podcast and a little later today we'll have an editorial from TreoCentral's Michael Ducker. Stay tuned.
Mike received an email detailing some undocumented features and various other tweaks to the 680 that are worth mentioning:
- Versamail now directly opens zip attachments
- You can hit the right arrow in various places in Versamail to bring up contextual menus - i.e. on messages, multiple messages, and attachments.
- Bluetooth file tranfer does work natively - just use the "send" option from the launcher's menu.
- The bluetooth radio supports multiple channels. This means you can use a bluetooth GPS unit and a headset at the same time! Huzzah!
- Streaming and Media
- The same streaming options from the 700p are on the 680.
- pTunes' pop-up console is worth checking out, it's in pTunes' preferences. It's really a neat little tool.
- The sync cable is now a sync and charge cable
Update: Chad writes in with this note: "I use a Treo 650 and I purchased the upgraded Versamail 3.5 for $10. It has all of the features you were describing- they are NOT exclusive to the 680! How cool is that! So anyone that has a newer Palm device can take advantage of the same features!" Good point Chad, thanks!
Palm's New Ad Campaign
We discuss Palm's new ad campaign with Director of Marketing Communications at Palm, Scott Hancock. There's a press release here. You'll also want to check out http://ontreo.com for some flashy fun.
Thanks to the TreoCentral Store for sponsoring the TreoCast.
Music comes from ccMixter.org, a great Creative Commons music site. Our specific music is the following:
Email us or leave us a voicemail at 800-557-6819 x222.