Welcome to this week's roundup! HeroCraft has announced a new logic game, Hexxagon Labs, that will be released next month. It's been a slow week for Palm OS software, but we look at some free software that you might find useful and fun. We also see what's new and updated in WM/PPC software.
Palm OS New:
Hexxagon Labs 1.0
Hexxagon Labs, by Herocraft, is a classical puzzle game which will provide not only fascinating entertainment, but will also give much interesting information. The game suggests launching intellectual battles on 17 various arenas. The main goal of each party in three different game modes is to occupy as many cells on the field as possible by repainting opponent's chips and not loosing your own. Rules simplicity turns unlimited profundity of tactical manoeuvres and artful tricks. At that you can play both against a computer and also the two or even three together on the same phone device!
Funny chemistry, witty physics, exciting astronomy
Do you think that there are no such things on our planet? If so, you havent play Hexxagon Labs yet! Just drop in to the most unusual laboratory in the world and test the power of your mind!
In addition, Hexxagon Labs is full of interesting facts and entertaining material. Before every level you will receive new astonishing scientific information giving you the opportunity, when you have the chance, to show off your erudition and amaze acquaintances by your knowledge.
The more you play Hexxagon Labs, the smarter you will become!
Scheduled for release on May 8th!
Play with one or two friends
17 complicated levels / 3 bonus tutorial levels
3 game modes
Original set of amusing facts from the scientific world
Attractive and bright graphics
Keep an eye out for this awesome sounding game! Hexxagon Labs will also be available for Windows Mobile.
Since there's not much in the way of new releases this week, I thought I'd mention there's always the option for trying out some FREE software!
Check out these free games/apps:
FileZ, by nosleep software, is an easy to use file manager for the Palm OS. Filez gives you full access to view, edit, copy, move, delete, and beam any file on your handheld all through a simple and clean interface. It can be used for any purpose, such as organizing your files, or setting which ones should get backed up.
- Support for memory cards (VFS-based)
- Fast cache-optimized list refreshes
- Command bar support
- Smarter selecting/sorting in the list view
- Nifty progress bar while loading
- Used memory/total memory display
- Menu option to set the backup/copy bits of all files at once
- ...and more.
- Version 5.3.2 fixes a problem when viewing file attributes in the file list.
Get it here for free.
ClickClick Alarm v1.0.1
ClickClick Alarm, by RNS::, is a desktop application that can load any MIDI file from your PC and install it directly to your Palm, making it available as an alarm sound. ClickClick Alarm is as simple as it can be. The following example shows 3 simple steps of installing a polyphonic alarm sound.
INSTALL MORE ALARMS
ClickClick Alarm offers automatic conversion from SMF1 to SMF0.
SMF0 is the only MIDI subformat that Palm can play.
No more silent or uninstallable alarms in your Palm!
ClickClick Alarm can install MIDI files whose size is no greater than 64K to your Palm. However in some rare occasions (depending on the MIDI file format) the Palm's MIDI codec may not be able to play it. ClickClick Alarm supports all Palm OS devices except for Treo smartphones.
- Right click a MIDI file on your PC to install it to your Palm.
Get it here for free.
MemoManager, by Suntzu Software, is a utility designed to make memo handling easier, more fun, and more efficient.
The speed will depend to the amount of memo or text file you are manipulating with.
For the latest beta releases and updates, please visit the developer's website.
- Tap the memo on the list to export it to text file, send by SMS (Treo only), or send by email (Treo only).
- Use the TextEditor drop-down to format the text before exporting or importing. The speed of memo manipulation will depend to the amount of characters.
- Txt to Memo button is use to import text files from your card into the Memo Pad.
- Import or export any text file or memo size defying Memo Pads 4,096 bytes limit.
- Refresh button will top up the memo list to which the latest.
- Memo button will launch Palm's native Memo Pad.
Get it here for free.
Palm OS Updated:
DeluxeWare has updated its Weather to version 0.60.
Make your own weather station at Palm now! Current condition for the entire world (and for specific regions) updated every 15 minutes. Before making travel plans for a hotel or flight it can be useful to check the current conditions for where you want to go.
Auto update mode helps to keep the weather data timely. "Weather-guard" will improve Palm's standard KeyGuard and get access to the current weather condition in easy way.
- Fun images (clouds, sun, rain, snow) and indications of the general status
- Custom backgrounds with JPEG-support(non-progressive)
- High and low day temperature in Celsius or Fahrenheit
- Wind direction and speed in mph, km/h
- Dew point, Visibility, Humidity
- Current local time for cities
- The suns ultraviolet intensity level (UV index)
- Integrated weather to the Keyguard
- Keyguard's weather supports all Palm devices
- Hi-res devices Portrait and Landscape modes
- Current forecast automatic update
- Date/Time format settings
- Real feel temperature
- 5-way navigator
- Easy to use
- 7 days forecast
- Detailed view for each day of forecast
- 48-hours forecast
- 14 days forecast
- Skins for "Weather-guard"
- "Advanced scheduler" for auto-update
- Proxy-server settings
I recently reviewed weather Beta v0.54. Since then, the developer has addressed a few bugs. I commend him for his diligence!
Get it here completely free.
Butler 4.82 beta
Butler, by Hobbyist Software, is the assistant who thinks of everything. Alarms, Attention Grabber, Navigation, Launching, LED, Keyguard and Much More. Beta 4.82 is available and addresses a few issues.
Butler contains 7 sets of utilities yet costs less than most single applications. Please note that Butler is only written for the Palm Treo.
- Alarms - Repeating alarms with ringtones or MP3 (No need to buy an MP3 Player)
- Alerts - Nags you like a pager to make sure you don't miss anything
- Security - Remote lock allows you do lock or delete your Treo via SMS if it's stolen
- Navigation - Launch apps or calls from anywhere by holding down a key
- LED - Turn it off at night!
- Keyguard - That shows you the time and doesn't block the screen!
- Volume Keys- To scroll the page, or switch through your last opened applications.
- Housekeeping - Keeps your system in shape to reduce damaging resets!
- More than a dozen utilites that make your Treo work better and harder.
- ' recently purchased Butler and have been more than thrilled with its performance. I have been told by numerous people that you are above and beyond when it comes to consumer feedback so I wanted to offer my congratulations on an amazing product. I am a relatively new Treo user but am becoming more and more addicted to the phone with each passing day and your utility has really made the difference in my experience' -Jonathan
- 'I love Butler. It's the best program on my Treo!' -Philipp
- 'Most of the features in Butler should have been included with the Treo.' -Todd
- 100% Guarantee: If for any reason you don't think Butler is fantastic - I will give you a 100% refund.
New in Beta 4.82
- 18/Apr/08 fixed issue with status icons from form beneath keyguard getting drawn
- 21/Apr/08 added additional checking for calls while keyguard is showing
- 21/Apr/08 tweak to code for redrawing/restoring keyguard
Get it here for $14.95.
Initiate, by Hobbyist Software, has been updated to version 3.40 and addresses a few issues.
Initiate Fast, Powerful launcher, with fantastic extra features
Initiate offers most of the useful features from launchers that cost much more. And it offers a host of features that you won't find in any other launcher. Features like Type To Search, Contact integration and Views.
You can try it for free until the nags wear you down!
Initiate Includes Full File Management Functionality:
Drag and drop for beaming, deleting, move to sd card, etc
Full category support to arrange applications
Move applications to and from the SD card
Run applications directly from the SD card
Plus type-to-search to find what you want instantly
- Incredibly fast search (including SmartSearch)
- Launch applications
- Launch applications from the sd card
- Category Support
- Drab and drop capability
- Sd card support
- File Management (Beam, Rename, Sd-Ram,Delete)
- Jpeg Backgrounds, Skinning, Customise Colours
- View Contact details (number, email, etc)
- Views & Favourites
- Open Contacts in preferred contact application
- (Initiate Pro Only) Launch Calls
- (Initiate Pro Only) Launch E-Mails
- (Initiate Pro Only) Launch SMS
- (Initiate Pro Only) Play Mp3
- (Initiate Pro Only) Open Bookmark
- (Initiate Pro Only) Full Customer Support
New in 3.40
- 14/Apr/08 bugfix - stop voice launcher from working through butler keyguard.
- 14/Apr/08 added launchcode for voice launch shortcut
- 16.Apr/08 fixed crash caused by rapidly pressing voice launch button
Rob works hard to develop and release quality products and quickly fixes bugs as they arise!
Get it here for $9.95.
mRSS, by MotionApps, has been updated to version 5.0.
One flick of a finger connects you to the world.
mRSS has a new look and an advanced user interface it brings you the experience of immediacy and connection to your device. It will respond to your hand gestures thus making it all more intuitive and time saving.
With mRSS you can download and read the latest news and content from numerous sources of your choice from around the world right on your smartphone and with a single click.
Because, who has enough patience and time to search and manually type in all favorite links for RSS feeds on a smartphone?
Or, wouldnt it be convenient to make them available on your device automatically, while surfing the net on your desktop computer and seeing all the interesting web sites?
mRSS makes it possible.
Sports, weather, politics, business, science, health, technology... the latest world headlines were never as easy to access on your smartphone as they are now with mRSS!
All you have to do is surf the net and find interesting stuff. And click.
Leave the rest to mRSS.
See User Manual for details on your mRSS account
- Advanced user interface responds to your hand gestures and thus make it more intuitive and time saving
- Download and read RSS feeds always stay up to date with all the info that are interesting to you
- Ability to download RSS content added to your mRSS account while surfing the internet on your desktop computer
- Option to schedule RSS feeds download and download in the background while using any other functionality or application on your device
- Various options for RSS feeds handling (archive, change text size and more)
Get it here for $19.99.
Next Page: Windows Mobile >>