This week's roundup includes Astraware's newest PalmOS/WM game Platypus, CallBlock Free Edition, a Butler Beta update, Virtual Explorer v 1.30 and more. Let's get started!
Palm OS New:
Platypus for Palm OS v1.00
Astraware announces the release of Platypus for Palm OS!!
Based on the cult classic for PC and Mac, Platypus is a fast, frantic and fun side-scrolling arcade shooter with a difference - the entire game is made from clay! The vast continent-spanning city of Collosatropolis has finally reached the limits of its expansion, and tall buildings cover every available space. The Collosotropolan leaders have decided the simplest solution is to invade the neighbouring country of Mungola. They don't anticipate much of a struggle - Mungolans are simple, earthy types without much love for industry. In fact, Mungola's entire defence force consists of a single squadron of fighter planes - the venerable F-27 'Platypus'.
Your mission is to pilot your trusty Platypus and save peaceful Mungola! Fly across the squashy fields and trees, avoid the snowy mountains and protect your planet. Shoot down the enemy ships and marvel as they disappear in a splat! Collect fruit bonuses and a range of power-ups to aid you in your quest!
- Defend peaceful Mungola from the invading Collosotropolans
- 4 massive clay worlds to explore
- 20 challenging levels of squishy side-scrolling fun
- A range of powerups to enhance your firepower and boost your score
- Fantastic music soundtrack inspired by classic Commodore 64 games
I just got this game Wednesday and am preparing to review it - so, keep a lookout!
These 'claymation' animations look sweet!
Get it here for $19.95.
CallBlock Free Edition v2.0
CallBlock, by WISH Solutions, is a simple yet effective tool to block unsolicited incoming calls. Now you do not need to turn off your phone just to avoid unnecessary interruptions. Just leave it to CallBlock to filter your incoming calls and sms.
Uses 'Background Blocking' method that does not interrupt your work while you use your phone. Conserve battery power without waking your phone from 'sleep' mode when blocking calls.
CallBlock also supports wildcard '*' pattern blocking. You can configure CallBlock to filter out incoming calls beginning or ending with certain numbers.
- Incoming Calls Blocking - Block up to 5 most irritating callers.
- Background Blocking - Silently block calls without interruption when you use your phone. Does not wake your phone unnecessary when blocking calls.
- Wildcard Number Blocking - Block incoming calls beginning or ending with pre-defined numbers.
- Filter Blocked Caller's SMS - Choose to ignore or delete those annoying sms!
- Block Notification - Get instant alert on blocked calls.
- Call Logging - View blocked calls detail so you know who and when the call was blocked.
Haven't tried this one yet, but it sounds promising. For certain persons/calls, I don't even want to have to know about the call hehe - and, this sounds to save me that interruption
Get it here for absolutely FREE!
There is also a CallBlock Basic Edition which sells for $9.95 and has some extra features.
The World Almanac 2008 Hi Res 3.0
With a wide variety of useful information, The World Almanac and Book of Facts 2008, by Mobifusion Inc., is the most essential and dependable book at home and in the workplace. Version 3.0 is a new release. No matter who you are - you will find this database of 4300 entries and 150 images extremely useful. For fun facts, for quirky stories, features, and quizzes, and for data that comes from only the most dependable sources, get The World Almanac. From top level bureaucrats to eager young students in local schools, the World Almanac has something for everyone! Give the gift that everyone can use. Get one for yourself, too."
The World Almanac and Book of Facts is the Best-Selling Reference Book of all time. It has the maximum information that can possibly be gathered under a single source! Since 1868, The World Almanac has been a medium of enlightenment for many curious minds. Millions of people rely on this book for facts and figures.
Now, get it for your Palm OS device!
- World at a Glance
- Top Ten News Topics of 2007
- The Almanac in the Internet Age
- Overview and Important Dates
- Key International Issues
- Historical Anniversaries
- Economy, Business, & Energy
- Military Affairs
- Health & Vital Statistics
- Personalities, Art, & Media
- Science & Technology
- Consumer information
- U.S. Facts, History, & Elections
- World History & Culture
Grab it here for $29.95.
Pocket Guide for Cutaneous Medicine and Surgery 11.0
Version 11.0, but it is a new release, as things change in the field of medicine. Pocket Guide for Cutaneous Medicine and Surgery by Skyscape, Inc., is designed for dermatology residents & clerkship students,contains up-to-date & easily accessible medical & surgical information.
Offers the reader the most up-to-date, clinical high yield data for expert patient assessment and management. Designed for health care providers with a knowledge base of dermatology. It is meant to guide you while you interact with patients in the clinical setting, whether reminding you which labs to check for methotrexate or which never to avoid before your next surgery.
- A quick reference on a wide range of dermatologic diseases
- Provides concise clinical data on diagnostic lab findings and practical management
- Provides key surgical anatomy and pearls on lasers, basic science and pharmacology
- Includes notable dermatologic/dermpath mnemonics and a comprehensive quick reference of cutaneous diseases and syndrome association
- Provides a comprehensive collection of dermatology and dermatopathology signs and concise guidence on their significance and associated clinical and laboratory findings
- An essential resource for Dermatology Board Review!
I'm sure that many of our readers and Treo/Centro owners are doctors and like to see some medical software listed here from time to time. I've seen many doctors check their smartphones for information, and it's good to know that developers make helpful software for the medical community.
Get it here for $24.95.
Palm OS Updated:
Butler v4.79 Beta
Hobbyist Software has updated its Butler to version 4.79 Beta.
Butler - is the assistant who thinks of everything. Alarms, Attention Grabber, Navigation, Launching, LED, Keyguard and Much More.
Butler contains 7 sets of utilities yet costs less than most single applications. Please note that Butler is only written for the Palm Treo.
- Alarms - Repeating alarms with ringtones or MP3 (No need to buy an MP3 Player)
- Alerts - Nags you like a pager to make sure you don't miss anything
- Security - Remote lock allows you do lock or delete your Treo via SMS if it's stolen
- Navigation - Launch apps or calls from anywhere by holding down a key
- LED - Turn it off at night!
- Keyguard - That shows you the time and doesn't block the screen!
- Volume Keys- To scroll the page, or switch through your last opened applications.
- Housekeeping - Keeps your system in shape to reduce damaging resets!
- And More...
- More than a dozen utilites that make your Treo work better and harder.
- ' recently purchased Butler and have been more than thrilled with its performance. I have been told by numerous people that you are above and beyond when it comes to consumer feedback so I wanted to offer my congratulations on an amazing product. I am a relatively new Treo user but am becoming more and more addicted to the phone with each passing day and your utility has really made the difference in my experience' -Jonathan
- 'I love Butler. It's the best program on my Treo!' -Philipp
- 'Most of the features in Butler should have been included with the Treo.' -Todd
- 100% Guarantee: If for any reason you don't think Butler is fantastic - I will give you a 100% refund.
Version 4.79 addresses a few issues:
- 17/Apr/08 fixed issue with attn grabber not working for incoming calls
- 17/Apr/08 fixed issue with keyguard slider not working over modal windows.
- 17/Apr/08 fixed issue with keyguard drawing over low bit applications (like Filez)
- 17/Apr/08 added debug logging to pin down BmpGetDensity problem (see forum for details)
Get it here for $14.95.
Phone Technician 4.03 Beta
Phone Technician 4.03 with Magic Tones, by Hobbyist Software, is now up in Beta. There are a series of new tweaks as we iron out the bugs! Please come and join the discussion at the forum if you are interested in beta testing the new (and better!) way of allowing per-contact fully customisable mp3 ringtones.
Phone Technician keeps your phone under control!
- Ringers - Ringtones from Mp3, Ogg, Wav, Midi - also gives you much more control...
- Disable Alarms - turn off alarms during your call
- Save Battery - Turn off the screen during phone calls.
- Phone Connection- set phone connection on & off times, turn connection on after reset.
- Easy Dial - dial numbers from any app easily
- Sound Booster - boost the volume of your treo
- Call Master - control your calls using the keyboard!
- Easy Conference - easily set up conference calls
- You can try a fully functional demo for free
Download the free demo here and registration is only $14.95.
CorePlayer Mobile for PalmOS v1.2.3
CorePlayer Mobile, by Corecodec Inc., is at the center of the CoreCodec Universe for playing multimedia on your mobile phone, portable media players, PDA, GPS or convergence device. CorePlayer is truly the next-generation in multimedia playback. Its simple yet powerful interface and advanced features is designed to empower the CoreCodec community. Corecodec recently released version 1.2.3 of its great product!
See why the Chicago Suntimes times says that it, "actually has a user interface designed with bipeds in mind" and why companies like Joost are using CorePlayer technology!
- Built-in YouTube Support
- Bluetooth support [A2DP / AVRCP]
- Supports over 15 Languages
- Advanced Streaming support [HTTP, UDP, RTP, RTSP, RTCP, SDP, Unicast, Multicast]
- IPTV / DVB-H Ready
- Audio: MP3, WMA, AAC, MKA, WAV, OGG, Speex, WAVPACK, FLAC, MPC, AMR, GSM, ADPCM, ALaw, MuLaw, MIDI, WMA
- Video: CoreAVC [H.264], AVCHD, MKV, MPEG-1, MPEG-4 part 2 [ASP], DivX, XviD, MJPEG, RLE, MSVIDEO1
- Images: JPG (420, 422, 440), BMP, PNG, GIF, TIFF
- Containers: Matroska, ASX, ASF, TS, PS, M2TS, 3GPP, MOV, AVI, MPEG-4, NSV
- CoreUI / Universal Skins allows you to create custom user interfaces
- CoreTheque media library for easy multimedia management of your podcasts, playlists, bookmarks
- Standard and Enhanced Podcast Support
Corecodec products are EXCELLENT!
Get it here for $29.95!
USB Modem (Palm) v1.60
USB Modem, by Mobile Stream, allows you to use Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 680, Treo 700p, Treo 755p and Centro smartphones as a USB modem for connecting a desktop or notebook computer to Internet. To surf the Internet from your PC you will need only a USB cable and a Treo with GPRS/EDGE service or CDMA 1x/EvDO data plan.
- Support for Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 680, Treo 700p, Treo 755p and Centro smartphones
- Support for Windows XP/2000, Windows Vista, Mac OS X and Linux operating systems
- Support for USB and Bluetooth connectivity
- Support for background mode so it is possible to make outgoing voice calls or perform other activity on the Treo without disabling the modem mode (if supported by the phone)
- Small memory footprint (30 KB)
Get it here for $24.95.
Next Page: WM Treo >>