Home | Stories | Reviews | TreoCast | Treo Store | Accessories | Software | Discussion at webOS Nation | Mobile | About | Search
treocentral.com >> Stories >> Business
Trend: Shopping via Mobile on the Rise?

Sat Sep 25, 2010 - 3:42 PM EDT - By Annie Latham

Depending on which study you read, it appears that a small segment of consumers prefer to shop via their mobile phone.

A new study by mobile ad network Millennial Media and comScore noted that among the 8% of wireless subscribers who are mobile retail users, 27% said they had purchased or browsed retail items only through their handsets in the last 30 days as opposed to online or in brick-and-mortar stores. The other 73% had shopped across mobile, online and offline channels. The study was based on a survey of 10,000 "connected" mobile users, or those who have indicated they use their phones for more than talking and texting.

The study also found that mobile retail shoppers also tend to be slightly more affluent than average, with nearly 34% making more than $100,000 annually compared to about 27% of all mobile subscribers.

The MediaPost story discussing the study results also pointed to new data released by Forrester Research that suggested mobile commerce "is still the province of a very small fraction of cell phone users."

> Only 2% of mobile users buy products through their phones at least monthly

> 2% get mobile coupons or promotions.

> Slightly more -- 5% -- use their devices to research purchases.

Forrester's findings were based on a survey of 30,452 adult cell phone owners.


Treo accessory store
> Print this page
> Digg!


Copyright 1999-2016 TreoCentral. All rights reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy

TREO and TreoCentral are trademarks or registered trademarks of palm, Inc. in the United States and other countries;
the TreoCentral mark and domain name are used under license from palm, Inc.
The views expressed on this website are solely those of the proprietor, or
contributors to the site, and do not necessarily reflect the views of palm, Inc.
Read Merciful by Casey Adolfsson